How to Electronically Sign Documents in Google Docs
Did you know you can add your electronic signature to a contract, offer letter or non disclosure agreement from a Google Doc in less than 5 minutes? It’s easy to create an electronic signature on a Google Doc without ever leaving the application..
Read on to discover how to do an electronic signature in Google Docs in just a few steps with this easy guide.
How to create an electronic signature in Google Docs
First, install the DocuSign add-on, by either clicking here or following the instructions below.
Create or open a Google Doc. Go to “Add-ons” and navigate to “Get add-ons.” This will open up the Google Workspace Marketplace.
Use the Google Workspace Marketplace search bar and search for DocuSign eSignature.
Select DocuSign eSignature to install the add-on. When installing the add-on here, you now have access to DocuSign across Docs, Gmail and Drive - all for free.
Once the install is complete, navigate back to the original Google Doc and select DocuSign eSignature from the the Add-on menu drop-down. Simply click “Sign with DocuSign” to get started.
The first time you use the add-on, log in or create a free account to get signing and collecting signatures.
DocuSign then asks for permission to manage the documents in your Google Drive. Click on your account.
You can now use the DocuSign for Google Docs Add-on to sign or send for signatures on documents.
How to sign a document in Google Docs
- From your Google Drive account, create a new Google doc (or find and select the document you want to electronically sign).
- From the open document click Add-ons in the header.
- Click DocuSign eSignature > Sign with DocuSign. The DocuSign log-in page appears. If you don't already have a DocuSign account, you can sign up for a free account by clicking the Sign up for a DocuSign Account link.
- Click LOG IN, and then enter your DocuSign username and password.
- The Ready to DocuSign landing page appears. Note: If you are creating a new document, you must finish editing it before you can sign it. If you haven't finished your document, click Finish Editing to return to it.
- Click START. The DocuSign landing page appears for you to select who should sign your document.
- Click Only Me to sign the document yourself. A read-only copy of your document opens, ready for you to add fields.
- Drag and drop your signature and any other fields you want to use into your document.
- When you're done signing your document and adding fields, click Finish.
The completed document is added to your Drive account in a unique folder labeled DocuSign - Completed, which is created automatically the first time you sign or send a Google Doc for signature. You can also find the completed document in your DocuSign account, by logging in and navigating to the manage tab.
Once finished, you can close the browser tab, view the document in the unique DocuSign Drive folder, email a copy of the document, see document details, or download the document to your computer.