How to Electronically Sign a Word Document
Need to add your electronic signature to a contract, offer letter or non disclosure agreement from a Word document? It’s easy to create an electronic signature on a Microsoft Word document without ever leaving the application.
How to sign a Word document
Read on to discover how to add an electronic signature to a Word document in just a few steps with this easy guide.
1. First, install the DocuSign add-in. Go to the Insert tab in the Menu bar and navigate to “Get Add-ins. This will open up the Office Store (or Store on Mac). Type “DocuSign” in the search bar. Click “Add” DocuSign for Word and confirm the installation. This is free.
2. Find DocuSign in your Menu tab. Once the add-in has loaded successfully, you will see a new menu option called “DocuSign.” Click on that and choose “Sign Document.”
3. Log into your DocuSign account or click “Create Account” for a free DocuSign account. Signing up for a free trial will allow you to create a free electronic signature in Word. You can also send forms and contracts to others for signature for 30 days - no credit card required.
4. Add Signature to your document. You can now drag and drop the Signature field to add your electronic signature to the Word document. Simply click “Signature” on the left side of the page, then click the spot in your document where you want to insert your signature. You’re also able to add your Initials, Date Signed, Name and other information if you choose.
5. Click the yellow “Adopt and Sign” button at the bottom of the window. Your signature will appear in the desired place on the document. Then click the “Finish” button at the top of the page.
Your signed document is ready to send and download.
If you need to send the document to another party, enter the recipient’s name and email address in the “Full Name” and “Email Address” fields in the pop-up menu, then click “Send and Close”.
And you’re done. You can then log in to your DocuSign account to see all the documents you’ve signed and sent.
Creating your own electronic signature
When adding an electronic signature to any document, you can choose to simply adopt a DocuSign pre-made signature using your name. If you love your unique autograph, you can also choose to upload or draw your own electronic signature:
1. Log in to your DocuSign account. Click the Profile Image, then click “Signatures.”
2. To change your signature, click “Edit” and select “Draw”.
3. To draw a signature in word, click and hold within the “Draw your signature” box, then draw the desired signature with your cursor or on your touch screen.
4. Click and hold within the “Draw your initials” box to draw the desired initials. Click “Create” to save your signature.
- How to Electronically Sign Documents in Google Docs
- What is a Wet Signature vs. an Electronic Signature?
- Are Electronic Signatures Legal?