Celebrating Latinx Heritage All Year at DocuSign
By Susan Calderon, Chair Latinx ERG, Senior Director, M&A, Integration and Operations
The DocuSign Latinx employee resource group (ERG) is focused on developing and leveraging the Hispanic and Latinx talent and expanding the Latinx identity across communities where we live and work.
Starting a Latinx ERG
The idea of starting a Latinx employee group came to us during a late night meeting. I was working on a project with a coworker when she paused to take a call and starting speaking in Spanish. I was surprised to learn that she spoke Spanish. We shared our heritage stories and learned we had a lot in common. We were both first-generation Americans having grown up thoroughly immersed in the Latinx culture with Spanish as our first language. This connection opened up a whole new aspect to our working relationship and later friendship.
We thought there must be other DocuSigners that shared the same heritage, language or interests. We found them through our own networks and referrals and launched a small employee affinity group during Hispanic Heritage Month in 2018.
Since then, the group has grown into a formal and funded ERG with membership across San Francisco, Chicago, Seattle and Sao Paolo.
About the Latinx employee resource group
Our intent is to foster a sense of community through shared experiences and identities.
We welcome and are open to a broad cultural influence including non-Spanish speaking, Portuguese, and all allies.
DocuSign is committed to diverse teams and an inclusive work environment where everyone feels a sense of belonging and is enabled to do the work of their lives. This is a shared responsibility between leadership and employees.
The work of our employee resource group is to create opportunities for employees to come together to innovate, develop their career, or give back to their community. We also partner with the business to identify best practices for attracting latinx talent, and participate in internal and external recruiting events.
Latinx employee events at DocuSign
In our first year as a Latinx employee group, we’ve created a number of programs:
- Cafe con/com Latinx series which is a multi-office, coffee and discussion hour.
- Blend by DocuSign. A program with our recruiting team to attract diverse talent.
- Social responsibility. Raised employee donated funds for local non-profit charity La Casa De Las Madres and supported national Miles4Migrants to contribute to their missions.
- ERG partnerships with other technology company peers such as Salesforce and YouTube. Our plan is to host more multi-company events and programs to increase our impact locally and to support career growth for our members.
- Latinx Slack Channel to share group and community happenings.
And we’re just getting started! Our Latinx employee group has many initiatives in the works and we need talented individuals to join DocuSign that believe in our vision.
To learn more about DocuSign and our employee resource groups, please visit us at DocuSign careers.