How to sign a document in Google Docs
Do you want to know how to sign a document in Google Docs? It’s easy to electronically sign a Google Doc without having to leave the application. You can add an electronic signature to a Google Doc on a contract, offer letter or non-disclosure in just a few minutes. In this blog, you can discover how to add an electronic signature in Google Docs in just a few easy steps.
Electronic signatures are legally binding and create enforceable legal contracts that are widely accepted. They are more secure than a traditional paper-based signature as they are less susceptible to forgery. It’s very simple to use Google Docs to create, and send agreements for signing using a DocuSign integration.
A step-by-step guide of how to sign documents in Google Docs
Ready to find out how to sign Google Docs? Firstly, open Google Drive and install the DocuSign add-on. Next, create a new Google Doc or open an existing Google Document. Select“Add-ons” from the menu and navigate to “Get add-ons.” This will open the G Suite Marketplace.
Use the G-Suite marketplace search bar, type in DocuSign. Then click the plus button to add DocuSign eSignature and confirm the free installation.
Once the add-on has successfully loaded, you will discover the new menu option on the drop-down in Google Docs. This is called “DocuSign eSignature.” Choose it and click on “Sign with DocuSign.”
If you are using the add-on for the first time, DocuSign asks for permission to run. Just click the ‘Continue’ button.
How to sign a Google Docs document
Now you have installed the DocuSign Add-On for Google Drive; you can follow the steps below to electronically sign documents in Google Drive.
- From Google Drive, create a new Google doc. Or find the existing document you want to sign electronically. (If you are creating a new document, finish editing before starting the signing process.)
- Click the Add-ons menu.
- Click DocuSign Electronic Signature for Docs and Sign with DocuSign.
You can sign up for a free DocuSign account if you don’t already have one.
4. Log into your account by entering your DocuSign username and inserting your password, and you will then reach the ‘Ready to Sign’ landing page.
5. When you click the ‘START’ button, you will be able to select who is signing your Document.
6. For this selection, choose ‘Only Me’, and it will create a read-only version of your document that is ready for you to add signature fields and more.
7. Next, drag and drop your signature and any other fields you want to use into your document.
8. When you have completed the signing of your document online, select ‘Finish’. You’ll discover that the window closes and within a few minutes, the completed document is available in your Drive account in a folder which will be labelled “DocuSign-Completed.”
This folder is created automatically when you first digitally sign or send a Google doc for signature.
When you reach the signing completed page, close the browser tab and click the ‘next steps’ button and you will return to Google Documents. You can review and email a copy of the document or download a copy.
In summary (FAQ):
How to sign a document in Google Docs?
For secure documents use a third-party add-on tool like DocuSign eSignature. Select DocuSign eSignature from the Add-on menu drop-down. Then simply click “Sign with DocuSign”. Log into your account and the Ready to DocuSign’ landing page appears. Click start and select who is signing. You can simply drag and drop your signature and any other fields you want to use into the document, sign it and click Finish.
How to create a signature in Google Docs?
Choose from three different options to create your signature. You can upload your signature, draw it or choose a pre-formatted option. Here’s a quick guide to getting started with creating a signature.
How to get started signing documents in Google Docs?
Learn more about downloading DocuSign eSignature for Google and getting started signing document in Google Docs. With pre-built integrations you can simply install the add-on DocuSign eSignature for Google Workspace. If you already have a DocuSign accoutns you can log in with the same DocuSign username and password you use when logging in form the web. Your documents will sync across devices.