Advanced Recipient Routing for your eSignature integrations
Last year, we launched routing rules (also known as conditional recipients), one of our Advanced Recipient Routing features, and it gained a lot of interest. We are excited to launch full support for Advanced Recipient Routing features for developers! You can now build rule-based routing into your eSignature workflows to route to different people automatically, depending on your business rules.
What is Advanced Recipient Routing?
Advanced Recipient Routing is used to automate tedious internal processes that require pauses in the signing workflow or to route to different recipients depending on data input. The API allows third-party integrations to define a eSignature workflow easily with the following capabilities:
Pausing an envelope: When an envelope is paused, everything is put on hold. This allows developers to carry actions both outside and inside DocuSign, complete part of a workflow, or time a send for later, before continuing the eSignature process.
Example use cases:
- If you need to schedule sending envelopes at a specific time
- If you're in industries such as franchising and want to institute a wait period before a signer can sign
- If you want to conduct part of your workflow outside of DocuSign and make sure it's successful before continuing the signature process
Routing rules (conditional recipients): When adding conditional recipients, you can build rules to determine whom to route to. This allows developers to have more freedom to build and execute custom workflows within their eSignature workflows.
Example use cases:
- Purchase order: where you can assign to one recipient or the other depending on amount
- Sales discount: where the higher the discount, the more approvers you need
- Org structure: Assign to different leaders depending on department in a school or organization
Uses for Advanced Recipient Routing
PowerForms: PowerForms can be created from templates that use routing rules. This allows you to build general forms made available publicly. For example, this could be for loan forgiveness. Then, based on the collected data, the envelope can be routed internally based on rules defined automatically. Employees can fill out item request forms and have them routed to the appropriate internal teams, such as IT or HR. Schools can make forms available to students and then route to the correct departments.
Bulk send: Bulk Send supports all sender features, including routing rules. This allows you to bulk send envelopes to a large set of recipients without worrying about routing them manually afterwards. For example, you can set up employee surveys and route the envelope for review based on their job title or role. Note that the routing rules and conditional recipients must be predefined.
Multiple rules: Multiple rules can be used for envelopes with conditional recipients. This allows you to use AND/OR to join several conditions to form a complex rule. For example, a conditional recipient would be routed only if both rule A and rule B were satisfied.
How do you use Advanced Recipient Routing with the eSignature REST API?
See the resources below for guides and code examples.
- Conditional Routing
- Conditional Routing and PowerForms
- Pause and unpause a signature workflow
- Specify conditional recipients