Learning the Basics of DocuSign
Welcome to DocuSign! We are thrilled to have you join our community of over 370,000 customers worldwide who are getting to agreement faster using DocuSign.
To help you get started on the right path, we’ve pulled together some helpful resources and training specifically for new customers. Join our online community, get help from support, or explore our online training through DocuSign University and you’ll be off to a great start.
We have included some of our favorite getting started videos below, so jump right in!
- Sending your first DocuSign document
- Signing a document
- Managing and correcting your documents
- Using templates
- Customizing envelopes with your company brand
In addition to training on the basic product functionality, we’ve pulled together some helpful resources that we believe will be useful as you get started as a new DocuSign customer. Please feel free to bookmark this page.
Looking to connect with other customers who may also be new to DocuSign? The DocuSign Community is a great place to get questions answered and network with other new users, moderated by helpful DocuSign experts!
DocuSign University Learning Portal
Looking to go deeper into our product capabilities and do so at your own pace? The DocuSign University Learning Portal provides you with access to an extensive catalog of free, self-paced and instructor-led courses to help build knowledge and expand expertise. To support your organization’s initial learning needs, courses are available for a wide range of DocuSign roles and in multiple languages to learn DocuSign anywhere, anytime.
DocuSign Support Center
The DocuSign Support Center is a free resource which provides a comprehensive library of reference documents and videos which take you step-by-step through the process. DocuSign's Support Center also includes a Case Management dashboard for logged in users.
Sending your first DocuSign document
The basic steps for creating and sending a document for signature are as follows:
- From the homepage of your DocuSign account, click NEW. Select send a document.
- Add your files. DocuSign supports a broad variety of file formats. Select files from your local machine or from cloud storage providers like Google Drive or Dropbox. You can add multiple documents up to 25mbs.
- Add your recipients. You will need the name and email address of each recipient. You can choose to set the signing order if needed, or your signers can get the document all at once. Once they are all finished, they will all get a copy of the completed document.
- Add a message and customize the subject line if needed
- Click next, and drag fields for your signers. The top of the document will show you which signer you are placing fields for. Select each signer and place fields for each of them (if you have more than one). Once ready, click send.
You can find more in-depth information about each action in our support center.
If two or more people use the same email address, you will upload the document as normal, and type in the email address and name of the first recipient. Click add recipient and type in the same email address for the second recipient, but put a different name. We do recommend setting the signing order for these instances or adding a private message for each recipient. Then, you will place tags for each recipient like normal.
If you want to send a document to a large list of people, you’ll want to utilize our bulk send feature available on our Business Premium edition. Once you are on that plan, you can follow these instructions.
With Set signing order enabled, you can specify a recipient routing order. You can set up a simple sequential routing order, where each recipient receives the email notification once the previous recipient has completed the document. You can also have a mix of sequential and parallel routing. When you use a signing order, you can route a document to the same person multiple times. For example, you want to send a purchase order to your manager to approve, then send it on to purchasing to sign, and finally send a copy to your manager again.
- From the Send a Document view, add your recipients.
- Select the Set signing order check box. Signing order values appear at the left end of the recipient rows. By default, the signing order is the order in which you added the recipients.
- To change the order, either click and drag a row to the desired position, or set the value of the recipient.
- To set a parallel order, such that some recipients receive the document at the same time, set the same value for the signing order.
Signing a document
When someone sends you a document from outside of DocuSign, you can sign and return it securely from your DocuSign account. You can also sign a document that you send.
When someone sends you a DocuSign document for your electronic signature, you first receive an email from DocuSign sent on behalf of the sender.
STEP 1 Review the DocuSign email
Open the email and review the message from the sender. Click REVIEW DOCUMENT to begin the signing process.
Note: Your experience as a signer may also vary depending on how the document sender wants you to sign. New signers have a different experience than returning signers and signers with a DocuSign account. To learn more, watch the Signing video or read the how-to guide Signing Documents Electronically with DocuSign.
STEP 2 Agree to sign electronically
Review the consumer disclosure, and select the checkbox I agree to use Electronic Records and Signatures. Click CONTINUE to begin the signing process.
Important! To view and sign the documents, you must agree to conduct business electronically.
Note: To view additional options, click OTHER ACTIONS. For more information of other actions available, please review our Signing Documentation.
STEP 3 Start the signing process
- Click the START tag on the left to begin the signing process.
- Click the SIGN tag. You are asked to Adopt Your Signature.
STEP 4 Verify your name
Verify that your name and initials are correct. If not, change them as needed.
STEP 5 Adopt a signature
Do one of the following:
Accept the default signature and initial style, and go to the next step.
- Click Change Style, and select a different signature option.
- Click Draw. Draw your signature/initials using a mouse, or your finger or a stylus on a touchscreen.
STEP 6 Save your signature
Click ADOPT AND SIGN to adopt and save your signature information and return to the document.
STEP 7 Confirm signing
When you finish clicking all signature tags in the document, confirm signing by clicking FINISH.
A message appears stating that you have completed your document. You can now download a PDF copy or print a copy of the document. The sender receives an email with the signed document attached, and the signed document appears in their DocuSign account.
STEP 8 Sign up for a DocuSign account
Sign up for a DocuSign account and save the document in your own account.
- From the home page, click the New drop down menu and select Sign a document
- In the sign a document window, add your documents by any of the available methods: upload, grab from cloud storage, or drag and drop a file. You can add multiple documents to sign up to 25 mbs.
- Click Sign
- In the signing view, click continue
- Use the fields menu to drag the fields you want to add to your document
- Click finish
- Optional – send the document securely back to the sender or download it from your documents view
If you need to sign a document and then have it routed to someone else to sign, you’ll want to start by sending a document. You’ll add yourself as the first signer, then add the rest of your recipients. You can set the signing order if applicable. You will want to tag the document for all of the signers, including yourself. Once you click send, you’ll be prompted to sign on the spot.
Managing and correcting your documents
To find the status of your documents, follow these directions:
- From the Documents tab, find and select the envelope that you want to view.
- Click More and then click History. The envelope history is opened in a new browser window. The browser shows the Envelope Details and the complete activity history of every transaction related to the envelope.
To organize your documents, you can create folders and subfolders from the Documents page. You can move items out of your general My Documents view by putting them into a folder. Once you create one or more folders, you can file your documents into folders by either of these methods: Select the document and use the MOVE TO drop-down control at the top of the Documents list Drag and drop the document from the list to the desired folder
You can correct the details of in process documents that you send, including both the recipient and document information. If a document has already been signing by one or more parties, you can only correct the signer’s information that have not completed the signing progress. When you correct a document, if you modify recipient information, a new email notification is sent to all outstanding recipients. To correct a document:
- From the documents page, locate the in process document for which you want to correct information
- Click the document title to open the Document Details view
- Click Correct
- You can change the email address, name, routing order, recipient action, private message, or authentication methods of outstanding signers.
- When you are done editing recipient info, click Next
- You can either resend the document now or edit fields if needed
- Delete, modify, or add fields as needed, then click send to resend the document to your recipients
- The document is corrected and returns to the previous status state. If you modified recipient information, in process recipients receive a new email notification.
Templates are perfect for almost any DocuSign workflow that you do over and over again.
You can prepare documents for rapid sending with reusable templates that save tags and field placement, workflow routing, and other settings. Templates standardize processes, reduce preparation time and enable end-to-end automation of your business.
- From the Templates page, click New Template.
- Enter the name and description for your template.
- Upload your files to the template.
- Add the recipient roles by defining the role in the Role Field and selecting the signing action for the placeholder role. If you need to add additional recipient roles, click ADD RECIPIENT and repeat the steps.
- If you would like to create a template to a specific recipient: enter the person’s email address and name, select the signing action, and enter a role (optional). If you need to add additional named recipients, click ADD RECIPIENT and repeat steps.
- To save your template without adding fields, click Other Actions and SAVE AND CLOSE.
- To set signing fields for your documents, click NEXT. Add signing fields for each of your template recipients on the document.
- To save your template click SAVE AND CLOSE. Now your template is saved and ready to use.
You can start a document from a template from various places in DocuSign:
- Home page: click the NEW drop down and select Use a Template
- Documents page: click the NEW drop down and select Use a Template
- Templates page: locate your template and click USE
You can edit any template that you previously created and saved. If you have access to templates shared with you by other users, you may be able to edit these as well. When editing a template, if you decide you don't want to save your changes after all, you can discard the changes and leave the template in its original form.
- Go to the Templates page and locate the template you wish to edit.
- Click the template title to select it and open the Template Details view.
- Click EDIT and edit the template. You can change any aspect of the template, including the template name, and the files, recipients, and recipient fields.
Customizing envelopes with your
What does it mean to brand my own envelopes? Watch this short video to get the basics!
- Signing brands offer control over the styling of the email notifications (envelopes) sent to recipients and the signing view your recipients see when they go into the product to Sign. You can add a custom logo and specify a color theme to add your company branding to these interactions. Signing brands can be applied and saved with templates, and you can set a default signing brand for all envelopes sent from your account. As the Sender, you can select a brand to apply to the envelopes you send.
- The sending brand provides control over your DocuSign account styling. You can specify a single sending brand for all account members, and add a custom logo and specify a color theme to apply your company branding.
You can find the step-by-step walkthrough for setting up signer branding in DocuSign here.
Still looking for something?
Unable to find the answer you were looking for? Please contact support to get answers to any other questions you may have. If you have a point of contact at DocuSign, please reach out to them for a smooth experience.