Learning the Basics of DocuSign for Real Estate
Chat with an agent from 7am-5pm PSTChat now
If you prefer to learn on your own, we have outlined our favorite getting started tips below.
- Sending your first DocuSign document
- Connecting to zipForms
- Managing and correcting your documents
- Using templates
Sending your first DocuSign document
The basic steps for creating and sending a document for signature are as follows:
- From the homepage of your DocuSign account, click NEW. Select send a document.
- Add your files. DocuSign supports a broad variety of file formats. Select files from your local machine or from cloud storage providers like Google Drive or Dropbox. You can add multiple documents up to 25mbs.
- Add your recipients. You will need the name and email address of each recipient. You can choose to set the signing order if needed, or your signers can get the document all at once. Once they are all finished, they will all get a copy of the completed document.
- Add a message and customize the subject line if needed
- Click next, and drag fields for your signers. The top of the document will show you which signer you are placing fields for. Select each signer and place fields for each of them (if you have more than one). Once ready, click send.
You can find more in-depth information about each action in our support center.
If two or more people use the same email address, you will upload the document as normal, and type in the email address and name of the first recipient. Click add recipient and type in the same email address for the second recipient, but put a different name. We do recommend setting the signing order for these instances or adding a private message for each recipient. Then, you will place tags for each recipient like normal.
• If you need to sign a document and then have it routed to someone else to sign, you’ll want to start by sending a document. You’ll add yourself as the first signer, then add the rest of your recipients. If you want to sign the document after your signers, then you’ll add yourself as the last signer. You can change the signing order when necessary. You will want to tag the document for all of the signers, including yourself. Once you click send, you’ll be prompted to sign depending on where you placed yourself in the signing order.
With Set signing order enabled, you can specify a recipient routing order. You can set up a simple sequential routing order, where each recipient receives the email notification once the previous recipient has completed the document. You can also have a mix of sequential and parallel routing. When you use a signing order, you can route a document to the same person multiple times. For example, you want to send a purchase order to your manager to approve, then send it on to purchasing to sign, and finally send a copy to your manager again.
- From the Send a Document view, add your recipients.
- Select the Set signing order check box. Signing order values appear at the left end of the recipient rows. By default, the signing order is the order in which you added the recipients.
- To change the order, either click and drag a row to the desired position, or set the value of the recipient.
- To set a parallel order, such that some recipients receive the document at the same time, set the same value for the signing order.
Connecting to zipForms
When someone sends you a document outside of DocuSign, you can sign and return it securely from your DocuSign account.
To use zipForm® Plus with DocuSign, you must first register your DocuSign account credentials in zipForm® Plus. You only need to do this once, but if you ever change your DocuSign credentials, such as changing the email address or password on the account, you will need to update your credentials in your zipForm® Plus account.
- In your zipForm® Plus account, click the drop-down arrow by your name and select Profile.
- In the left pane, select Settings.
- Under E-Signature Options, select DocuSign and enter your DocuSign email address and password.
- Click Save.
Make sure you follow the instructions for connecting your zipForm® Plus account above before you begin. To send a DocuSign envelope from zipForm®, follow these steps:
Note: You can add, remove, and adjust tags in DocuSign as desired. You are not limited to the tags provided by zipForm®.
- Login to zipForm® Plus.
- Open a Transaction.
- Click eSign.
- Click Create.
- If desired, enter a name for the signature submission. When finished, click to check the documents to include, then click Next.
- In the Role column, click to check the roles and recipients you wish to include. When finished, update or add any names or email addresses for the selected roles, then click Done.
- If desired, click and drag the recipient tiles to adjust the routing order. When finished, click Next.
- Add or adjust any tags in DocuSign. When finished, click Send.
Managing and correcting your documents
To find the status of your documents, follow these directions:
- From the Documents tab, find and select the envelope that you want to view.
- Click More and then click History. The envelope history is opened in a new browser window. The browser shows the Envelope Details and the complete activity history of every transaction related to the envelope.
To organize your documents, you can create folders and subfolders from the Documents page. You can move items out of your general My Documents view by putting them into a folder. Once you create one or more folders, you can file your documents into folders by either of these methods: Select the document and use the MOVE TO drop-down control at the top of the Documents list Drag and drop the document from the list to the desired folder
You can correct the details of in process documents that you send, including both the recipient and document information. If a document has already been signing by one or more parties, you can only correct the signer’s information that have not completed the signing progress. When you correct a document, if you modify recipient information, a new email notification is sent to all outstanding recipients. To correct a document:
- From the documents page, locate the in process document for which you want to correct information
- Click the document title to open the Document Details view
- Click Correct
- You can change the email address, name, routing order, recipient action, private message, or authentication methods of outstanding signers.
- When you are done editing recipient info, click Next
- You can either resend the document now or edit fields if needed
- Delete, modify, or add fields as needed, then click send to resend the document to your recipients
- The document is corrected and returns to the previous status state. If you modified recipient information, in process recipients receive a new email notification.
You can prepare documents for rapid sending with reusable templates that save tags and field placement, workflow routing, and other settings. Templates standardize processes, reduce preparation time and enable end-to-end automation of your business.
- From the Templates page, click New Template.
- Enter the name and description for your template.
- Upload your files to the template.
- Add the recipient roles by defining the role in the Role Field and selecting the signing action for the placeholder role. If you need to add additional recipient roles, click ADD RECIPIENT and repeat the steps.
- If you would like to create a template to a specific recipient: enter the person’s email address and name, select the signing action, and enter a role (optional). If you need to add additional named recipients, click ADD RECIPIENT and repeat steps.
- To save your template without adding fields, click Other Actions and SAVE AND CLOSE.
- To set signing fields for your documents, click NEXT. Add signing fields for each of your template recipients on the document.
- To save your template click SAVE AND CLOSE. Now your template is saved and ready to use.
You can start a document from a template from various places in DocuSign:
- Home page: click the NEW drop down and select Use a Template
- Documents page: click the NEW drop down and select Use a Template
- Templates page: locate your template and click USE
You can edit any template that you previously created and saved. If you have access to templates shared with you by other users, you may be able to edit these as well. When editing a template, if you decide you don't want to save your changes after all, you can discard the changes and leave the template in its original form.
- Go to the Templates page and locate the template you wish to edit.
- Click the template title to select it and open the Template Details view.
- Click EDIT and edit the template. You can change any aspect of the template, including the template name, and the files, recipients, and recipient fields.