Manage risk, ensure compliance while building trust and integrity into everything we do.
Legal | San Francisco, California; Seattle Washington; Chicago, Illinois
Our agreement with employees
DocuSign is committed to building trust and making the world more agree-able for our employees, customers and the communities in which we live and work. You can count on us to listen, be honest, and try our best to do what’s right, every day. At DocuSign, everything is equal. We each have a responsibility to ensure every team member has an equal opportunity to succeed, to be heard, to exchange ideas openly, to build lasting relationships, and to do the work of their life. Best of all, you will be able to feel deep pride in the work you do, because your contribution helps us make the world better. And for that, you’ll be loved by us, our customers, and the world in which we live.
The Legal team helps DocuSign achieve strategic goals, manage legal risk, and preserve the legal and ethical integrity of the company. We are regularly involved in critical, complex operations, and partner across the business to solve challenging problems to support our growth and progress globally. We focus on providing thorough analysis and offer legal advice to foster sound decision-making and ensuring compliance with legal and other relevant standards and certifications.
As Privacy Counsel, you'll have a broad range of responsibilities providing legal guidance on global projects affecting privacy, data protection and security. You will partner with our InfoSec, procurement, engineering, HR, marketing and other teams to advise on data uses while managing legal risk and ensuring regulatory compliance. You will also be called upon to provide privacy and data security expertise to our commercial attorneys as they negotiate complex commercial deals that contribute to our products' success, and to partner with product counsel in counseling product and engineering teams on data uses. As we expand our offerings globally, your ideas and contributions will make an immediate impact.
We are looking for a high performer who is adaptable, loves to learn and operates with a high degree of integrity. We also are looking for someone who has a vision as to what legal support for Privacy should look like. You thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment and love taking on a new challenge. You support the business by thinking outside of the box while always protecting DocuSign and its trust brand. You are passionate about technology and its impact on our profession and world. You are a self-starter who would be a great fit for our hard working, experienced and fun team.
This position is an Individual Contributor and reports to the Director, Regulatory Affairs.
• Provide privacy and data security subject-matter expertise and guidance to legal colleagues (including commercial, product and employment counsel), InfoSec, procurement, HR, marketing and sales, and engineering teams.
• Partner with commercial counsel and procurement to provide privacy subject-matter support for commercial agreements and vendor management.
• Respond to privacy and security related customer and regulatory inquiries and investigations, and coordinating such responses with global positions.
• Draft external privacy notices and disclosures, and manage/update internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance with global laws bearing on privacy and cybersecurity.
• Help develop, enhance, scale and run the existing global privacy program, including: privacy operations and documentation; employee training on data privacy and security; policy enforcement; privacy compliance program monitoring and auditing; and third-party risk assessment. Ensure the program's ongoing and efficient operation.
• Work with engineering, InfoSec, Compliance, and Trust Services teams to scope and perform periodic data privacy hygiene assessments, mitigation and remediation, including data privacy by design and default, accountability and compliance monitoring, and the mitigation of privacy and security risks.
• Remain up-to-date on relevant privacy, data security, and consumer protection laws and regulations, industry approaches to privacy program management, and on privacy and security technological developments and evolving industry standards to provide an ongoing ability to provide sound compliance advice.
• Exceptional academic and law firm credentials, admitted into and in good standing with at least one state bar.
• 8 + years’ experience at a top law firm and in-house providing actionable advice to clients on different legal risks and obligations under privacy and data security laws in the U.S. and Europe (including CCPA and GDPR), advising on and managing internal privacy policies, procedures and data lifecycle, security and privacy, and managing security incident investigations.
• Strong understanding of data privacy and data security, particularly in the SaaS industry.
• Ability to build strong relationships quickly and interact with all levels of the business with ease.
• Great judgment, attention to detail, interpersonal and communication skills, with demonstrated teaming ability to work well with, influence, and inform diverse groups, including peers and clients.
• Dedicated to providing top-notch customer service and possessing strong interpersonal skills.
• Strong work ethic and the highest level of integrity and business ethics.
• General understanding of cloud and software industries, including SaaS model, and a strong desire to work on tough legal issues in these areas.
• Team attitude that no job is too big or too small.
• Proven ability to address complex problems and business needs while reasonably balancing legal risks.
DocuSign® helps organizations connect and automate how they prepare, sign, act on, and manage agreements. As part of the DocuSign Agreement Cloud, DocuSign offers eSignature: the world's #1 way to sign electronically on practically any device, from almost anywhere, at any time. Today, hundreds of thousands of customers and hundreds of millions of users in over 180 countries use DocuSign to accelerate the process of doing business and simplify people's lives. Plus, we save more trees together! And that’s a good thing.
DocuSign is an Equal Opportunity Employer. DocuSign is committed to building a diverse team of talented individuals who bring different perspectives to the business and who feel a sense of inclusion and belonging when they join our team. Individuals seeking employment at DocuSign are considered without regards to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.